Due to the small number of people available to attend our Apple Evening on Thursday I have had to cancel the event. I completely understand the very short notice we've all had for this specific event, therefore may I invite you all, since we have not had the chance to meet in person, to:
suggest ideas of Slow Food events in 2011 that you would like us to organise and that you think would be in line with Slow Food aspirations and appeal.
Just to give you an idea of events we organised in 2010:
- We started off with a fantastic meal at Door74 in Oxford when we wizzed through our AGM and made the plan for the year ahead.
- In June we had a local winery tour and tasting at Brightwell Vineyard nr Shillingford, followed by the perfect lunch meal at Halfmoon in Cooxham (by the way, I hear the chef is moving away so if you have not tried it yet, I suggest you make your way to the pub asap)
- July saw a large group of us running the Taste Adventure for kids and their families at the Thame County Show and in August Penny Reed hosted a farm lunch, combined with a walk at her farm nr Wantage.
- In September we did the Mum's Know Best series with The Hairy Bikers, a show that is yet to be broadcast.
- John organized our traditional fungi foray in October and despite the wet day, people had good luck with the mushrooms
- We closed the year with an awesome Manzanilla evening at the Charwell Boathouse in Oxford, a 7-course meal accompanied by 7 different types of Jeres (or Sherry as they call it here)
The Slow Food book club had the sessions with our traditional small group of talking aficionados and the fish dinner at The Fishes accompanied by the discussion on the book Cod was another successful example.
So, if you are a new member, or did not have the chance to attend our events in the past, this is a short summary of our work. and now we are trying to come up with new ideas and therefore need your input. The rule generally is that the one who suggests an event will lead on its organisation, although the rest of us will help in any way we can, including some financial support if necessary.
I would like to ask you to get back no later than 21 February, that is in 2 weeks, with your thoughts, and we shall take it from there.
Many thanks in advance for your support,